1-to-1 class.
Materials: Article.
Student requested "discussion with accuracy correction"
This was not exactly the most ideal situation as I'd asked the student if we could film the warm up for the course and she'd agreed. Then at the last moment had changed her mind. That left me with audio only.
I'd based the Warm-Up on some pre-reading I had given her. It was about lying and how to spot liars.
My goals for the warm up were to check her comprehension and to get her familiar and comfortable with using the basic vocab and collocations for the subject of the lesson.
I started with some general chat by asking her about her week, just to try and "turn on" the English part of her brain.
Next, I asked her to summerize what she had read (Comprehension Check, 1) and tried to elicit self-correction (Error Correction, 5) by looking confused if the error was severe enough. At other points, I recast the error as a correct sentence which she, for the most part, repeated before moving on (For example, "You're not FAMILIAR with the expression".
I also used direct correction (Error Correction, 1) although the sentences were short enough and the student high enough that chunking wasn't necessary.
I feel I achieved my goals to some extent. However, with recasting and on-the-spot corrections, the student still made similar errors later in the class. It seems the original error wasn't quite "washed away" so it will maybe require a more permanent (eg, on the WB) correction.
Sounds like you really incorporated a lot of CI techniques! What would you do differently if you were teaching to a larger class of students?
ReplyDelete