Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Week 2.2 - my plans to alter discourse

Having read and, despite the daunting combined page-count, thoroughly enjoyed the Xie and Walsh reading for this week, I set out to alter the discourse of my classes this week by using less obstructions to STT. Having looked through the transcription of my warm up from last week, it seemed there were times that my interjections had stopped the students in their tracks. Therefore, with the same student this morning, I made a conscious effort to not let myself become her focus.

Because she is used to the Asian classroom hierarchy, the fact that I open my mouth to speak could have been interpreted as the authority figure in the room interjecting to correct or comment, which resulted in her conceding to me. From the transcripts it was clear that quite often my interjections were nothing more than encouragement or natural responses in conversation. Therefore, I decided to use more physical encouragement, such as nodding and smiling or, at the most, "I see" or "hm-mm", unless I was specifically recasting/reforming.

I would have to say it was a quite successful experiment. Despite it may be seeming strange to an outside of observer, the student quite happily continued their utterances. Although her speaking was not necessarily more complex, however the length was certainly longer than normal. She did not seem to think that my lack of usual reactions were strange or out-of-the-ordinary and continued speaking, unless she needed scaffolding, reforming/recasting, until her point was finished.

Following on from my previous blog entry, it could be argued that, by doing this, I am not demonstrating "real-world" conversation style. However, from an STT perspective, it was much more productive class for her.

I will try to be aware of this in the ongoing classes I have. For the higher, more confident students, my usual interactions are not necessarily a problem. For the lower and intermediate students, this new classroom interaction style could well be a big help for their progress.


2 comments:

  1. Andrew, I felt the same after watching my interview with my student. I noticed that sometimes I even anticipated her and tried to finish her sentences for her! Yikes! >.< When I interrupted, even when it was just to agree with 'yeah', or say 'good', she didn't talk as much. However, when I said 'mmhmm' and let her take control of where the conversation was going, and just listened, she spoke much more.

    Having said that, what do you think of interjections to correct speech? For example, if my student says 'I goes to the store' and I say 'I go' or 'You went' or something like that. If I don't reflect or recast with the correct language occasionally, will my student recognize her error?

    (By the way, did I see correctly that it's your birthday today? Happy birthday! Hope you had a good one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like in this week's reading, if it's one or two words, I just go for the minimal "go to" on-the-spot correction. If it's a whole lotta mess, I make a note and go back to it at the end of that topic. Having said that, it's easier for me cos all my classes are individual.

    ReplyDelete