This activity was adapted from the DeCapua book.
Some good things about the class were there was a lot of Student Talk Time. The students reacted quite well to the material and were able to take the conversation in there own direction in a meaningful way. I feel like they did consider what the stereotypes might reflect about the values and beliefs of that group. The range of group choices on the page meant that even if they had little experience of the world, they could find something to write about in the class. I used some solid MIC techniques and gave some basic feedback and corrections.
Something I would improve on the class in future would be to make a bigger deal over WHY the stereotypes exist and to stress that the groups don't represent a whole nation or city. Also, the lesson could benefit from the students reflecting more on where they get their stereotypes from. In the class, they very briefly glossed over "from the media" as being a bigger influence than their own experience, yet this informed the majority of their opinions. I tended to use a lot of evaluative feedback though, which is a bad habit I still have to curtail somehow. There was a lot of "good, good" and "nice" which is edging towards the Monologic style of the teacher being the most powerful voice in the room.
No comments:
Post a Comment