Thursday, November 22, 2012

Week 13 - METH - hardcore pron

After last week's focus on pronunciation (amunamurrkun) I decided to bring back pronunciation as a specific focus in class.

Unfortunately the student wouldn't allow filming but I can say that getting the student to mime the movement with their hands (something I'd never done before). The pronunciation focus was L and R which I used the left hand to be the top of the mouth and the right hand to be the tongue. Maybe it was fulfilling my expectations but the student did seem to get a handle on the difference faster than usual. This was especially noticeable having them do the movement and the sound at the same time - occasionally the right hand would struggle in the same way their tongues were. This really brought home to me that the dual coding of the physical action and the pronunciation really makes a difference to how the student can feel something that is only sound. With the exception of P/F , I'd never tried it before but will definitely be incorporating it as standard into future lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment