Monday, September 3, 2012

Week 2.1 - Some reflections on my teaching transcript

Before I go through the transcript "properly" as part of the homework, I've already noticed the frequency of me starting a sentence with "So,...". This is quite possibly a verbal tic/idiosyncracy that I do all the time in normal conversation, but it's not occurred to me that it could be distracting for students. For example, saying "So when do usually get up?" may be very confusing if they're hearing "Sowen d'you geddup?". It doesn't sound like any of the WH questions so may take that extra second to process.

Also, I'm surprised by how often I say "like" as a filler. I'd never considered myself as a Californian teen before but...

It could be argued that both of these are parts of natural speech and, by restraining myself from doing it, I'm modelling "textbook" English instead of "real world" English. However, I think just the frequency of doing it, combined with the varying levels of my current students, means it could well have a negative impact on their comprehension.

It's definitely something to think about in the next few days.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if the fillers of speech (the ahs, ums, so etc) contribute the effective filter or not. Students tend to hang on every word but if it's any more intelligible without the fillers I don't know.

    What you're talking about is connected speech and is a common feature on natural, fluent speech. I say if the odd bit of connectivity in your speech gets through, let it happen. The students are going to have to reconcile with it sooner or later. Why not in a controlled environment. On the vanity side it make you sound like a bad English teacher...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jason to an extent, but I think that if there are a few 'likes' or 'um's' it shouldn't really be too great a concern. In fact, I think I am guilty of doing the same, especially with like. I have seen conversations sheets, from ESL sites, where in the model they do incorporate these verbal utterances, such as 'um',or 'uh' but I think it is too show natural speech, and it's okay, when answering a question or proceeding a thought pattern. In fact, I will try to bring one to next class as an example. An interesting question though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific point! It's shocking when you hear yourself, isn't it? I was amazed by the 'um's, 'so's, 'like's, etc. that littered my speech during the interviews with my students. I'm increasingly thankful for the video analysis and the awareness it is bringing me as a teacher (and speaker of English, or so I'd hoped! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a battle to find the best spot between a truly natural model and something that's ultimately clearer but maybe not realistic, isn't it? I find myself speaking in much the same way as you, Andrew, with my higher-level class...but with my lower-level class I focus a lot more and almost feel bad about bordering on baby talk. Hopefully more analysis will help!

    ReplyDelete